Monday, November 16, 2009

Spring Hill Elementary School (Tennessee Special Education)

Maury school offers excellent, less-crowded special-ed program

Within the Tennessee school system there is a bright, shining gem that is Spring Hill Elementary School.

My 3-year-old was recently diagnosed with autism. He is currently part of the special-education pre-K program at SHE and has been attending since this past August.

He has an individual education plan and we attend meetings with his IEP team to develop his educational goals, troubleshoot problems and create a specific plan to carry out his education based on his diagnosis. It will challenge him in areas he excels and support him in the areas he needs extra attention.

When we started this journey, I heard horror stories about dealing with the school board and IEP teams and was scared. All I could think was that I needed to move so I could enroll my son in the Williamson County school system as quickly as possible. Oh, how misguided I was.

On the Maury County side of Spring Hill, SHE falls within the Maury County School District and serves grades K-2 with a special-needs pre-K program. Compared with Williamson schools, SHE offers a less-crowded school with more individualized attention for each student. For my son, they have surprised and delighted me with innovative, out-of-the-box solutions to meet his individual needs delivered with an attitude of collaboration and caring for my child that I could have never imagined.

[FULL ARTICLE]

No comments: